Sunday, May 15, 2011

Unfinished Business

Finish it. Never cancel. Never quit. Don't leave things undone. These were mottos I used to live by. If I joined a club, I stuck with it. If I started a book, I finished it. Projects were followed through to completion. I like wrapping things up in a neat bow and checking it off my to-do list, can you tell?

When I had my first baby, I realized that my life is destined to be a series of yet-to-be-finished tasks. Breakfast dishes get half-way done and then one of my kids falls down. Move on. As I'm folding laundry, I have about 2 pairs of socks matched up, and someone needs help going potty. Move on. The books on my nightstand are lucky to be picked up once a week. Read two pages and fall asleep with the light on. I am not cut out for this incompletion, but I'm learning to live with it.

There is freedom in this stage of mothering young children. Clubs, hobbies, and sometimes even friendships that aren't necessarily worthy of my complete attention can be let go or put on hold for a less crazy time of life. That book I've been wanting to finish can wait, but my sweet babies can't. As every wise mother who as "been there, done that" has informed me, time is speeding by faster than I realize. Before I know it, those little ones who depend on me for nearly everything will fly the nest. So for now, I'm giving myself permission to leave certain things partially done or not even started so that when this stage of motherhood is complete, I can know that I did all I could to love and nurture these little ones in my care. After that, maybe I'll finish that book and take a nap!

Philippians 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment