Sunday, June 26, 2011

Antique Hunt


Since I was a little kid, my mom has been taking me to the Allegan Antiques Market in the summers. Of course, when I was five, I wanted to get out of there as fast as I could so I could get home and play with my best friend. Antiques were for old people, as far as I was concerned.

Now that my husband and I have our own home, I think going to the antiques show is a blast. Now we drag our kids with us at least once a year. We bribe them with an elephant ear and lemonaide, but I doubt they think it's much better than I did!

If you're looking for one-of-a-kind pieces, an antique show like the one in Allegan is a great option.

Here are a few pointers:
  1. Arrive as early as you can. The best stuff goes quickly and the later it gets, the hotter and more crowded it gets.
  2. If you're looking for a piece to fit in a specific spot in your home, measure the space before you go so you know what you can handle. Also measure the trunk of your car so you know if your fabulous find will fit!
  3. Don't be afraid to ask for a better price. I used to be horrified to ask, so I'd have my mom do it for me. Now I'm a "big kid" and I can do it all on my own. Just ask, "What's the best you can do on this." Dealers will expect you to ask, so don't worry about it.
  4. Bring a stroller for your kiddos. It's hard to hunt for awesome finds while trying to keep your preschooler from climbing up onto an antique chair.
  5. Bring a lunch if your kids are picky eaters or if you're watching your calories. If not, enjoy the food stands!
Here are some of our finds:


I picked this up for a fiver. Who doesn't need a little box that advertises processed cheese?


We found a primitive shelf that we wanted. I asked for a better price and I got it.
Thanks, Leslie!


Here's our "beauty"


Once you get your beloved piece home, crack out the Murphy's Oil Soap and give it a little TLC. An extremely frightening spider hopped out of our 'new' shelf as I was cleaning it. Man, that bugger was fast. I protected our territory, and let's just say he won't be bothering our family anymore.


Yay! Kid books organized, good price, funky piece. We're happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment